Sunday, March 11, 2007

We have had a visit from 2 birds. A couple weeks ago I woke up to the beat of wings. There was a bird flying around my bedroom! So, being the brave woman that I am, called Faron's name and threw the blanket over my head and calmly waited until Faron got the bird outside. We discovered that our chiminey was open and the bird came right on in.

Jump forward 2 weeks, another bird pays our chimney a visit, only this time it was closed, so the bird got trapped. Couldn't fly out and couldn't come into the house. So, the kids and I (and the dog) listened to the flapping bird until Faron got home, then he freed it. It was quite a site, the kids all gathered around, Faron got a bowl and a piecie of cardboard for a lid, then opened the chimney and let the bird fall on down.

However, the bird didn't jump right into the bowl, so it started dodging. Alexander screamed and the girls all took a step back when the bird took off out of the fireplace and started flying around the room. It did one lap around the living room and much to my amazement Faron stuck out his hand and caught it! Then he carried it outside and the kids all watched him let it go. Joey felt quite sure that it was a flying treat for him, however the bird out flew him and landed safely in a tree, covered in soot, though he be.

Hopefully that will be the last of our flying friends. Our other unwanted visitor(s) has been sickness. Honestly, a solid month of sickness. We had a terrible cold for almost 3 weeks (which we generously took to Chicago with us and passed it on to Gabe, Angie and the boys, they were very thankful), then 4 of us had stomach flu, then I got the cold agian, and now, 2 more down with stomach flu.

Alexander has had the stomach bug something fierce. He had a good 48 hours of not being able to eat or drink a single thing. He did not enjoy throwing up, I must say. He took it quite personally, especially when it happened into his nose. He would scream bloody murder, and look at me as if I had something to do with it. He also was quite sure Faron and I were being mean by not giving him something to eat and drink whenever he asked for it. He spent a great deal of time crying for a drink. The last day, when he was starting to get better and be able to hold down some food, when I would cut him off before he had eaten his full he would cry for more. When I explained to this one year old that we had to wait and see if he could hold it down before he got any more, he just got mad and then he wouldn't let me touch him anymore! He would push my hand off of him when I tried to rub his head.

I am hopefully that it is coming to an end, as Alexander can now eat again. However, Arianna has been spitting up a lot today, so we will see.

3 comments:

Sallygram said...

Birds in the house---always a little freaky. I can just hear Zander screaming and Joey barking! I can't believe Faron snatched it out of the air! That's so sad about Shcmannie and the flu! He's dead serious about his eating and drinking. He wouldn't let you touch him! Yeah, how ya gonna 'splain "food and water makes you puke" to a baby! Poor muffins.

annie said...

There are always birds flying around stores here. Grocery stores, malls...everywhere. Not our house yet though. Just geckos.
That's sad that Xander got upset at you. So far Levi just uses us for comfort even if we are the ones who are upsetting the situation. He hasn't learned yet to pin it on us.

Annette said...

What a funny story Vera! I loved reading that.