Sunday, August 03, 2008

VBS


The girls got to go to their first ever Vacation Bible School last week and oh boy was it a hit! I didn't teach, but I was there every day but 1 taking pictures for the church, so I got to be in on it without quite so much of the responsibility, which I enjoyed.

I love the way our church does pretty much everything, and vbs was no exception. I love it that they train the 10-teens the week before vbs, and they are helpers all through vbs. They put on skits, games, lead worship, help in the classes. I think it's awesome. Who's cooler than a teenager to little kids?

Everyday started with worship, which was lead by Pastor Bil, and the youth worship band. Pastor Bil also let himself be the prize of a contest. The kids were bringing in their offering every day to go to an orphanage in Haiti that a group is going to next week. So it was boys agains the girls and whoever won got to chose the color that Pastor Bil dyed is fauxhawk. It ended up bright pink!

One of the classes was learning a coreographed song and dance number, which the kids performed for the parents on Friday night. Everybody learned one song, and then each grade level also learned individual songs.



One of the things the older kids did durring thier week of training was to make all the props and decorations for vbs. The theme was based around an amusement park, and the choices we make in our everday lives. So the decorations were all "places" in an amusment park, fairy tale kindgom, wild west, outerspace, etc. The skits the kids did were also based on that theme. You can imagine how popular the princess was with my girls!

Snack time! The snacks were a food craft every day, one day they built a rollercoaster out of a brownine, and pretzels, one day a rocket with vanilla wafers and bugle chips, it was something creative and fun ever day.
Along with the offering that was going to Haiti, we also got to bring in donations to take to the orphanage. Shoes, balls, socks, notebooks, etc. Pastor Michael is on the bus along with the 3 girls that are all in the process of being adopted by families in our church, all from this orphanage.
On the last day durring game time they had this waterslide set up. It was a major hit with most of the kids. Isabella didn't like it so much, she went down once but declined further turns. She did like watching though.

Sophia enjoyed it very much though!
This was the only day Alexander joined us, since he was techincally too young to come, but he did love that slide!
They had so much fun, I'm sure they will be talking about it for a long time. They also learned a lot, memorized a diffent verse every day, worshiped and learened bible stories. It was a great experience!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool...I bet it was a great day for all. Even though Alexander had a scared face, I bet he had a good time just the same.. Phea and Bell looked like they were enjoying it..

Anonymous said...

Claire just did her first VBS too. She really loved it. We had the water slide too on the last day. Ours was based on extreme sports. They had rock climbing and junk like that. Anyway, I really was just wanting to wish you a happy birthday. Hope you have a peaceful day.

-Melissa

Sallygram said...

I love VBS, and that one looks great. Isabella looks so old in the hat picture. I'll bet they loved the dancing and singing. One of the great things about summer---VBS!

annie said...

Everytime I see Isabella these days on your blog I think she looks just like pictures of you at that age.
Happy Birthday! Hope you did...something.