Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Blackberries

We have been picking blackberries for days now. We knew we had some when we moved in, but we didn't know that we had hundreds! There is a good crop of them right by the pond, but then if you go around the pond a little there is an entire hill that is just covered in plants, and berries. Yesterday we spent 3 hours (the kids and I stopped after 2, but Faron kept going) picking and ended up with over 3 gallons. Total we have probably picked about 5 gallons, and they aren't done yet. I've got tons in my freezer and yesterday I made jelly, and a cobbler :)


See how there are only a couple that are ripe? That's how most of the bushes are, so we still have a lot to go!
Once we get to the hillside to pick it's a little to rough for the kids, so they chill with a snack and play for a long time while Faron and fight our way through the thorny jungle.
This is about 1/4th of our harvest from yesterday, aren't they pretty!
mmmmmmm

4 comments:

annie said...

geesh...I wouldn't even know what to do with all that, Martha(Stewart)

Anonymous said...

I can testify to the yumminess of the cobbler and the jam. Mmmmmmm is right. Aren't they just the cutest little farm family?
Grammy, not Vera

Anonymous said...

Thats what is keeping you so busy. Blackberries are the best in cobblers, mmmmm. Sure looks like you have a good crop, and lots of help with them..

Jessica said...

You are killing me with the blackberry cobbler picture! :-) How fun!