Thursday, May 17, 2007

The things they say

I wish I had a way to record everything that the kids say. This morning Isabella was crackin me up with her story, but now, 20 minutes later I can't remember all the details, but I'll do my best.

We were just sitting down to breakfast and Isabella got out her cereal bar that she wanted to eat. I said, "Is that what you are going to have?" and she got on her performance face and turned to face me straight on with her hands folded in her lap and said, "yes, but first, let me tell you about something that my son did that we need to pray about."
I tried to keep my most serious and concerned face as she relayed this tragedy to me.
"He is already married" she says, "and he has a daughter who is about 4. She wanted to cut something, so she got out the scissors and was cutting and she cut off this part of her finger (Pointing to her finger tip). It bled and the doctors don't know what to do for her yet, so we need to pray about that in case she dies."
I made some concerned comment, only to be interrupted by Sophia saying
"My daughter..."
Isabella interrupts with, "oh yes,her daughter, we need to pray about that too, I was there when that happened" (all said in her most serious, pious, church-lady-at-a-prayer-meeting voice)
Sophia continues with some story about her daughter that does not end tragically, nor does it really contain a prayer need, so Isabella prompts,
"Isn't there something that we need to pray for your daughter about?"
And thus begins 15 minutes of tragic stories that require prayer, most of them involve multiple people being gravely injured. I told them both that they had led very tragic lives and they nodded with hands folded and lips pursed.


In other funny kid story news, yesterday the kids were eating their lunch and I was in another room. From the kitchen I hear the sound of paper tearing, so I ask them what they are tearing. Isabella hesitates for a minute, "um, well, we are just taking the paper off all the peanut butter and salsa." I say, "ok, well, don't". Isabella quickly responds, "but they are kids and they all want to go swimming, so they have to be naked". How can you argue with that kind of logic? So when I went into the kitchen I saw this
















and they planed with those kids for about half an hour. Then they cleaned it all up!

The night before that I went into their room looking for a pile of shoes that had been sorted out to be put away. The pile was no longer there, so I asked them to find me the shoes. There were some here and there spread all over their room, so I asked why they were all over the place.
Isabella said, "they were fried chicken".

7 comments:

annie said...

geesh. who needs toys? Just play with peanut butter and shoes. You have some imaginative children, with tragic tales.

Angie Buckner said...

Oh my, your kids are funny. I laughed about 10 minutes on bella's story. Your children have a serious but funny imaginations. When she gets older I think she'll love theater.

Sallygram said...

I am just laughing my head off over and over here at 7 in the AM. Those kids crack me up. Have they BEEN to a prayer meeting---or just a women's group meeting? I mean honestly, they sound like they have. I'm telling you, none of you guys ever pretended so many intricate things! When you were older and Jack was in the closet and such, but they are VERY imaginative.

Vera said...

they have NEVER been to a prayer meeting or a womens meeting! Every once in a while I will tell them about someones prayer requests and we will pray about it, but that is it!

Anonymous said...

Okay I giggled like crazy over Isabella's "prayer" needs...but as funny as the "swimming kids" story was...I can't help but admit that my first thought was 'WHY does Vera have at least 8 jars of peanut butter?!'? I mean, we do peanut butter from Sam's/Costco but I don't recall ever having *8* jars in the house at once! LOL

Anonymous said...

This just had me cracking up! This is what happens when you clean out their toys. ;) I love how imaginative they are!

Sara said...

Yep - I laughed OUT LOUD at this the whole way through. Cracked myself up.. I just love those girls.